Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Anatomy Of A Table Cloth And Some Fireworks

 We had family and some friends over yesterday to celebrate the 4th!  Our dining table is big and a focal point in the our living room/kitchen space so I decided to do something fun with it.

I started out with this twin size Martha Stewart flat sheet.  I bought several of these many years ago to use in decorating.  I don't think it was ever used on a bed!  

The table is so long, that it doesn't cover the whole thing so, I centered it, leaving the same amount of table showing at each end.

 Only one end has this adorable ruffle - but who cares?

Then I pulled fabric out of my stash and laid down this adorable Waverly ticking.  

 Cute right?

 But decided to use this larger red check against the blue check.  The patterns work because they are different sizes.

 Then we layered a navy blue floral, then the ticking.  We then tried a solid white runner.  First this way

 …then that way.  But no, I didn't like the way it looked.  

Rachel and I thought something smaller, but this wasn't doing it either, so I decided to do without the white.

 There!  Cute, fresh, patriotic!



 With a jar of fresh flowers, it looks great!

We ate a wonderful dinner together - grilled brats, hot dogs, chicken, hamburgers, potato salad, coleslaw, chips, tons of fresh fruit, and ice cream! Yum!

As evening came on, it was time for our annual fireworks.






Here, by the light of the strobe, you can see our pyrotechnic team! They gave us a great show last night.

I hope your celebration of this important day in World History was a good one.  The United States was a new thing when it was founded, and sadly, it has changed.

But as Proverbs 31 Ministries shared on FB

Amen, and Amen!

9 comments:

  1. You were very creative with your tablecloth...and the pretty jar of flowers is the finishing touch!

    I like to think of myself as a citizen of a different country. "Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about that same Bible verse yesterday. Freedom from the law thru Christ ... we do indeed have so much to be thankful for! Your table looks so charming. Thanks for sharing, Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a unique table cover - turned out really great! I feel very blessed and thankful to have enjoyed the prosperity, freedoms and perks of life in the U.S.A. Praying that God will mercifully "mend our ev'ry flaw" as a verse in America the Beautiful puts it....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's a great word! Your table cloth looks great. Do you have more than one ruffled sheet? That would be an easy fix with two. Are you sharing how you got such great shots of the fireworks?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's a great word! Your table cloth looks great. Do you have more than one ruffled sheet? That would be an easy fix with two. Are you sharing how you got such great shots of the fireworks?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that! I would never have thought of it, and the layering is just perfect. It has a country quilt effect. (In an aside, I happen to have the pink version of those ruffled sheets. I used them on the girls beds years ago. (Now, I'm on a total white sheet mission.)

    You are so right that our nation has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the tablecloth! I love to pull fabric bits from my stash and use them on the table too! :o)

    Your fireworks look like fun. We were very sad to find out that fireworks were not allowed in Delaware. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute idea for a tablecloth! Love it! Your fireworks photos are great. Our poor dog was so scared by the sounds of the fireworks!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Things I Like

  Brenda from It's A Beautiful Life blog did a post with this title and I enjoyed her list so I thought I'd do something similar. He...